Monday, October 11, 2010

Our little pumpkin





Elias, mommy, and daddy are all doing well. It was a rough night for mommy last night though! Ever since the cesarean yesterday, I had extreme pain in my left arm, particularly from my shoulder to my elbow. It felt like I'd been stabbed over and over, and like it weighed 100lbs. I literally had to pick up my left arm with my other hand to move it. Come 4 in the morning, I couldn't take it anymore. The pain in my arm completely outweighed the pain in my belly from the incision. I called the nurse in and she decided to stop the IV fluids and give me another medication. Well, what do ya know...not 5 minutes after she stopped the IV did my arm start to feel better. It turns out my arm wasn't too fond of all the medication that was poured into my veins in just a few short hours. But all is now well. Thank God for drugs, thats all I have to say :)





Kevin and I held Elias for the first time today. It was absolutely amazing. The nurse had his hair up in a little mohawk, which was too cute. He looooves to snuggle, and responds really well to touch. Tomorrow he will have quite a few evaluations. He won't be getting his casts for his feet until next week, I do know that much. It is super hard being separated from him. We went down every couple hours today to hold and feed him. I just hated having to say goodbye, even for a couple hours. But, at the same time, after what my body has gone through the past couple days, its almost a blessing to have such amazing people take care of him while I take some time to recover. Its just heart wrenching to leave him there. Hopefully we'll have him with us full time by tomorrow afternoon, assuming all his tests come back clear.

All our family that is here got to hold him and spend a little time with him in the NICU. He did so well for being handled by so many people!












I also learned that he was a good 10oz heavier than what we though! The nurse originally said he was 5lb4oz, but here it turns out he was 5lb14oz :) 




I just wanted to say that Kevin and I are so grateful for everyones prayers and well-wishes. We are so happy to have people celebrating with us. If you have called, please know that I will call you back very soon, and if I don't, call me later this week again! Things have just been crazy, and I wanted to spend time with our family today before some of them left to go back to PA this evening. Also, if your wanting to come visit us at the hospital, we just ask that you call first to give us a heads up :)

4 comments:

  1. Shelby... Hang in there... Elijah was in the NICU for 13 days when he was born... they are great and do what is best. It is so hard leaving them every time... Enjoy all the moments...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want you to know that I love you guys soooo much and I am so thankful that God has put His hand of protection over all of you during this time. You guys are amazing parents already! We are praying like crazy for little Elias and I can't wait to see you all and give you squeezes! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asher was in the NICU for 7 days and we had to go home without him and it was super hard. The nice thing is that you can rest and recover and know that he is in the best care possible and that Jesus is looking after him and keeping him safe. I will keep praying for you, Kevin and Elias.

    love Mj!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these post updates!!! I'm so glad you're able to rest a little!!

    ReplyDelete