Saturday, February 26, 2011

Countdown to Braces!


Elias had his first checkup since surgery three weeks ago this past Thursday. We went straight to xray for some pictures of his right foot, the one with the pins, to make sure they're still in place. They took the casts off and I almost fell over. Blood doesnt make me queesy or sick, but for some reason, when it comes to my son, I have a hard time handling the sight of his blood. As they were unwrapping the casts, I could see the bandage underneathe was bloody. I had to lean on the bed...I wasn't sure what I was going to see. But he unwrapped them, and I dared to look. Annnnd it really wasn't that bad!

They did a wonderful job stitching him back up. The doctor was very pleased with how great they looked! He was a little concerned that on his heel on his left foot that the incision wouldn't close that because of tension on the skin from the foot being pushed upward. BUT it looked awesome! The xray looked great too...the pins have stayed in place. THEN he was measured for his new braces!!! He will get 2 for the clubbed foot, one for the day and one for night, and one for the other. We're going back in a week and a half to get the braces for his clubbed foot, which is SO EXCITING!!! They put the casts back on his feet to keep them corrected. He will still be casted on the right foot until April when the pins come out.



Look at how far we've come! In the picture on the left, you can see how his right foot was bending upwards slightly, and his super-duper clubbed left food. The picture on the right is how his feet looked right after the took the casts off. He's curling his toes a bit in his right foot, but its not bending up anymore! And look at the pudgy little left foot! Its FINALLY in the correct position! As you can see, its a little smaller than his "normal" foot, but I am told thats typical...clubbed feet are smaller than the normal ones. His toes are a little squished from being in the casts for so long, but they should stretch out once casts are off and he can move them around. I just can't get over the picture of him as a newborn and how severely clubbed that foot is! What an awesome miracle, eh?! I asked the doctor if the braces will hinder him from walking, and he said if anything, it will most likely help, because it will stabalize his ankles. Yaaaay!!!

Last night, I sat him on the floor while I was reaching for something, and realized he was holding his weight upright and really steady...so I let go. And he stayed sitting up! Now, he was leaning forward slightly but he was holding stready in his abs. He would fall over if he started leaning to one side, so he's no where near ready to sit up on his own, but the fact that his core is strong enough to hold himself upright without any help is amazing! Its those abs from having those casts for all these months :)

I should also mention that they weighed him and he came in at around 15 1/2 pounds. Whoa baby! AND he's 25 inches. He's tripled his birthweight and grown 6 inches in just 4 months. For such a little peanut when he was born, he sure is catching up quick :)

1 comment: