Friday, February 11, 2011

4 Months Old

I can't believe my little muffin is 4 months old today! So much has happened in just 4 months. Now I understand why everyone was saying "It'll go so fast".

I should fill you in on what happened after Elias' surgery last week. He made it through the night okay with the help of some meds. However, in the morning, he was practically doubled over and screaming.  I felt his tummy and knew exactly what it was...constipation. I called for a nurse and asked for something for his constipation. She said she'd be back in 10 minutes. 45 minutes go by, I'm sitting in the rocking chair with my screaming son whose hooked up to 5 different things, and everytime I try and put him back in bed to get the button, I get all tangled in the wires. So I stay put in the chair, fuming at this nurse. Finally the door opens, and a young girl comes in. She introduces herself as a student and that shes there for me if I need anything. I told her I needed medicine now. She goes out, finds our nurse, and comes back with her. The nurse had meds in her hand, and proceeded to tell me she had 4 other patients to take care of. I didn't care, I don't want to hear it. MY son is screaming his head off. YOU said you'd be back in 10 minutes. The LEAST you could have done is popped your head in and said you'd be a few more minutes than you thought. AHHH!!!

Okay...moving on...So he got the meds but they didn't really seem to do anything. The combination of him crying and the IV on the right side of his head made his right eye swell so bad he couldn't even open it. THEN I find out the morphene was what was making him constipated. So the medicine that was helping him not hurt in one area was causing excruciating pain in another...great. THEN it was time to be discharged. The student nurse and her teacher came in to remove his IV. She said her student was going to be taking it out.  Well, the first problem was that all the tape keeping it in place was sticking to all his hair, which was being pulled out of his head as she tried to take the tape off. He was in so much pain, I was crying with him. After having to cut some of his hair again to get the tape off, blood started dripping down my arm...she had pulled the IV out. It was awful. I'm not someone whose afraid of blood, but when its your own kids blood coming from their head...thats another story. Anyway, it was just awful. He survived. I survived.

We go back to the hospital 2 weeks for now and the Dr. will take off the casts, check to make sure everythings healing correctly, measure his left foot for custom braces/shoes, and put another cast on his left foot until they come in, then he'll be cast-free! His right foot will remain in casts until April when he has another surgery to remove the 2 pins that were put in to hold the dislocated bone in the correct position.

He doesn't seem to be in much pain with his feet, which is great. He was constipated the first 3 days home because of the morphene wearing off, so that made for some very long days and nights. He wasn't eating very well, which translated into him not sleeping very well. Today he seemed to have much more of an appetite though, so hopefully we're moving in the right direction.

ANNNDDD tonight for the first night he is sleeping in his crib in his own room!!! Well...we put the bassinet in the crib (cause he looks so tiny in it still) so he isn't in a totally unfamiliair place. So far so good!


Bedtime Story with Daddy


4 Months going on 14

No comments:

Post a Comment