Friday, April 22, 2011

6 Month Checkup



Yesterday Elias had his 6 month check-up and an appointment with neurology. So we left the house with a little extra time to get there, and never fail the day I'll be a few minutes early, we get stuck in an accident and the carpool lane is closed. So I called to tell the pediatricians office we were running late, and they said to just stop by to see if they could fit us in.  I was going to be super bummed if our appointments didnt work out, seeing as it takes 45 minutes to get there (without traffic). The appointment was at 10:30 and we didn't get into the office until 11:20, and our neurology appointment was at 11:15. The secretary went into the back to ask the nurses if they could still take us. I saw the expression on the nurses faces and it didnt look good...the secretary then looked like she was looking around, probably for the doctor. Then from behind me I hear "oh did they already see him?" and it was our doctor. I explained to her what happened with traffic, and she said "No problem, I'm actually working in neurology after lunch, so go to your neurology appointment now, and come see me after lunch, I'll fit you in". Seriously, I love our doctors. Our orthopedist is like this too. He'll work around when we're there for other appointments, even though his technical clinical days are only twice a week. He'll even leave surgery to come see Elias. Pretty amazing. Okay so the point of this ramble was I LOVE OUR DOCTORS!!!




SO. The neurology doctor noticed very minor things that probably only the trained eye would notice. Elias has more assemetry on his body than is typical (but not very noticable). The one side of his skull is a little fuller than the other. His one nipple is a teeny bit further over than it should be. The rolls on his legs aren't symetrical. Okay. I look at my kid every single day, and have NEVER noticed these things, so that made me feel better that these truly are very minor things that A)dont matter and B) people probably wont notice, unless these read this and now look for them :) He also checked out his neck since he still tends to hold it a little to one side. He thought his neck looked a little out of alingment, but needed xrays. The xrays didn't show anything wrong, so he recommeded us to a osteopathic doctor. He's definitely improved in holding his neck more straight over the months, but it just seems like theres something holding it back, so hopefully this doctor can help him.

Then after lunch we saw our fabulous pediatrician. Elias is now just over 18lbs (55th percentile for weight), 27inces (70th percentile for height), and his head is in the 94th percentile (yes...mr. big-head).  So let me just recap for you...at birth, Elias was in the 3rd percentile for weight, and the 9th for height. Now he's above average for both. So crazy, I can't believe how much our little muffin has grown. Its going too fat. Then it was time for his vaccinations. I held his arms down and looked away and up at Elias's face. Then in 3 seconds she said she was done. Elias didn't even move. I was so confused. Last time he screamed bloody murder. The doctor was in there too and she was amazed and asked the nurse if she had really done it. I've been assured by some facebook friends that this apparently happens fairly often. I just have a hard time believing our son didn't move a muscle or cry. Both Kevin and I had to be held down by multiple people when getting shots when we were younger. It was just...weird. I'm not complaining, just...what child doesn't cry during a shot?! I've NEVER heard of that before. I must live under a rock though, cause people say it happens!

In the middle of the night I woke up and felt all these bumps on my arms. I shined my the light from my phone on them, and couldn't really see anything. I thought I must be dreaming, so went back to sleep. When I woke up, my arms were covered in little bumps and my one eye was kinda puffy, and itchy. What the heck!? I freaked out a little bit, because my sister in law just got over shingles, which was brought on from my nephew getting the chicken pox vaccine. Since Elias got a vaccine yesterday, I didn't know if this was some sort of reaction I was having to that. Took a shower, and realized I was covered head to toe in these hives. So I made an appointment and was at the doctors office in an hour. She said its definitely not shingles because its on both sides and all over my body, when in shingles it mainly stays on one side of the body. Plus, it wasn't painful like shingles is. She thinks it must be an allergic reaction to either something I ate or inhaled. The only thing different then our usual daily routine that I could think of was that we had chinese last night. This was my third time getting food from this particular restaurant. Let me add that this is only chinese place I actually like up here. I haven't found good chinese at all since we moved here almost 2 years ago. Anyway, I called the restaurant and here it turns out the food contains MSG unless you request it not to. So we're thinking I had an allergic reaction to the MSG now. Even though I'd had it before, the doctor said it usually takes a few introductions to the food until a reaction happens. So the good news is I can still order from this place and ask for no MSG. I'm still covered in hives, so hopefully these meds do some magic soon, cause its started to spread to my face...

Tomorrow we're going on our first mini-vacation with the baby. We're staying in Provident, RI tomorrow and then Saturday going to Newport. Really praying the weather cooperates so we can enjoy our time, seeing as everything we want to do is outdoors.




First Time Trying Out the Sippy Cup






Sitting up...





...and falling down.



















First Time Sitting in the Cart!


Check out those beautiful feet :)


2 comments:

  1. I love the cart picture!
    I hope you guys enjoy your vacation. I loved Rhode Island! Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that boy always has the goofiest expressions. i laugh every time! cant wait to see you all again.

    ReplyDelete