Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Worst Mom Award

Well, today I won the most coveted award out there...the Worst Mom Award.

Elias and I went to CVS to run an errand. Like every other baby out there, he loves playing with my keys, so to keep him entertained I let him play with them while I did my thing in the store. We got out to the car and I put him in the car seat. I took the keys from him so I could buckle him in and he started screaming. I have 2 or 3 different key rings on my carabiner, one of them being all those store cards. I took the store card one off and gave it to him to get him to calm down, and put my keys in the front seat so I could buckle him up. I shut the door, and then...sheer panic. My door wouldn't open. $#!%!!!!!!! He must have pressed the button after I had unlocked it but before I took them from him (about 5 seconds). Then I realized my phone was in the car too. GREAT. AND Kevin just recently lost our 2nd set of keys to my car. Perfect, right? So its not like Kevin could just bring them over. A lady was walking by and I asked to use her phone. I called 911 and was told an officer was on his way.

Elias was cool as a cucumber at this point, just chewing away on the key chain I gave him. He arrived within 5 minutes and placed a device similar to a blood pressure arm cuff that expanded into the crack between the door and car frame. He was able to get the long hanger-like thing in right away, pressed the unlock button, and...nothing. It didn't unlock! He then pushed the lock button to make sure he was pushing the right one, and the doors locked again. Then he tried to unlock it again...and nothing. Meanwhile Elias has started to freak out. Its getting hot in there, and all the banging and the big man at his window was really upsetting him. The officer tried the other door, and no luck...couldn't get the darn thing to unlock. Then he tried to lift up the lock, but it wouldn't budge. Then he tried getting the door handle open, but couldn't get enough behind it to open it. Meanwhile, a man stopped and offered to help. At this point, about a half hour had gone by and Elias is in hysterics. It was to the point where I was about to tell him to just break the freakin window. Then the man suggested trying to grab my keys with the thing they were using off the seat. And thank the LORD he was able to get them hooked. The man pulled the door back while the officer carefully maneuvered the keys up and through the tiny opening. I unlocked the door and grabbed Elias out of his seat. He's completely soaked from sweating so much from getting all worked up. I just held him while he calmed down, and the man who stopped to help came back over with a cold bottle of water he went in and bought for Elias. It was so nice and totally unexpected. Elias calmed down and of course wanted the entire bottle of water, but not from his sippy cup...straight from the bottle. So we sat in the car for a good 20 minutes while he took little sips one after the other. 

I feel like the worst mom ever. A lot of people stopped and watched the whole thing go down. I was so embarrassed.  I'm just glad hes okay and it was 80* here today and not 97 like last week. 

Needless to say, I'm glad the day is over...

2 comments:

  1. Wow thanks for sharing! I'm sure tons of people have had similar things happen to them. I think your a fantastic mom. I've know quite a few moms to leave their kids in the car to go in the store, it seems like your situations was completely different. you acted quickly and got him out. He is lucky to have a quick thinking mom like you in his life! God bless! keep sharing those stories -Theo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no shelby that must have been terrible for you!!! You reacted the exact way you should have by calling the police.I'm sure that kind of thing happens all the time!!! YOU ARE NOT A BAD MOM!!! ahah :) love and miss you sweet friend!!

    ReplyDelete